Daily Search Forum Recap: August 29, 2017
Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google: Stop Watching The Search Algorithm
I am pretty serious about reporting on Google search algorithm updates despite Google not liking it or hating the automated tools that do it as well. But I think it can be helpful when diagnosing a site that was his on a specific date...
- Google Tests Local Panel Ads For Deals
Not only did Google expand the product listing ads in the local panel yesterday but they are also testing displaying a new ad format to promote deals in the local panel. Pete Meyers posted on Twitter an example of an ad in the local panel that says "Save up to 51%.....
- Now Add Videos To Local Listings On Google; Android Only
Google's Meg S. announced in the Local Guides Forum that those who use Android can now upload videos to the local listings so viewers of those listings can see a more about the local business...
- Google Test New Local Panel Ad: See What's In Store
Glenn Gabe spotted and posted on Twitter a new format for the local panel inventory product ads. This one shows a "see what's in store" search box to allow you to search the store in the local panel and then shows popular tags/categories of products in the store...
- Google SEO Advice: Recurring Event & Updated Item Pages
Google's John Mueller posted on Google+ some basic SEO advice for how to handle recurring events and updated items pages for search and users...
- Google Pizza Making Class
Here is a photo I found on Instagram of Googlers together learning how to make the perfect pizza pie. It was posted by Olivia Lavin and she wrote "Pizza making in the office for Jasmin's birthday!!"
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Featured snippets... can you proactively test for them?, WebmasterWorld
- @osandacooray @duborges @Optimisey There's no single answer for that. Find what works for you & your users., John Mueller on Twitter
- Drop from #13 to #100 in one site, rise to #5-#1 in other site(graphs, ratios included), thoughts, BlackHatWorld
- Google Search Console shows Bing search results pages as links to your website. https://t.co/resU2BXeLa cc @rustybrick @JohnMu https://t.co/0gk20EbZwe, Bill Hartzer on Twitter
- Join the #Megamovie team on their chase for totality and see how the project to capture #Eclipse2017 came to light → https://t.co/cDrB8O6EJc https://t.co/Vv1sgfA7PV, Google on Twitter
- PROGRESS! ð" 50% of requests are over HTTPS, according to @HTTPArchive. Was only 30% this time last year! https://t.co/EmLGf1fvL6 https://t.co/ob9Vq9IzOe, Rick Viscomi on Twitter
- The importance of requesting review for Gaming videos, YouTube Help
- comscore: Mobile apps account for 57 percent of all digital media usage, WebmasterWorld
- Quality Score 101, The Google Advertiser Community